With so many activities coming up this weekend, we should remind ourselves of some good habits while having fun in the sun. Please pass these tips to your friends and loved ones:
- Drink a lot of water. We tend to let ourselves become dehydrated on a regular basis, particularly when we are distracted by fun activities. However, our fluid requirements can easily triple when we are moving around in this hot weather. Also, remember that children are much more susceptible to dehydration.
- Apply sunscreen liberally and often (usually every couple of hours).
- Stretch and warm up properly before that run or bike ride. Dynamic stretching is the best technique prior to such activities. For example, swinging a leg through its range-of-motion increases flexibility while warming up the muscles. Static stretching is best left for after the activity.
- Wear the proper protective clothing and gear (e.g. helmet).
- Take the proper safety measures when using lawnmowers, watercraft, and other types of vehicle.
I hope your summer creates many pleasant memories!