As its presence in pop culture has grown over the years, most of us have at least heard of Movember—but how much do you really know about the foundation committed to “changing the face of men’s health”?
We all know that the organization encourages men to grow facial hair during the month of November (hence the name), but here are some lesser-known facts about the mustachioed movement:
1. Movember was started in Australia in 2003 when a group of men decided they wanted to celebrate both men’s health and the forgotten moustache.
2. Movember is now the largest men’s health movement in the world. According to the organization’s website, “the Movember community has raised over $550 million and funded over 800 men’s health programs in 21 countries.”
3. 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime. Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer.
4. The Movember community also raises money and awareness for mental health issues, particularly depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, psychosis and schizophrenia, and eating disorders.
5. Women are encouraged to participate in Movember, too! According to the Movember website, “Mo Sistas sign up, start a team, and fundraise – they do everything Mo Bros do, they just don’t grow a Mo!”
6. To date, 4 million moustaches have been grown worldwide in honor of Movember.
7. Your employer might be able to match your donations to the cause! Go here to see if your company will double your donation to Movember with corporate gift matching.
If you’re feeling inspired to raise awareness and foster discussion about men’s health issues, visit www.Movember.com to sign up for a team or donate your support! Join the Moustache Dash on November 16th at Buckhead Square. Moustaches are encouraged, but not required!